Community Service: Top 10 Reasons to Volunteer
Thinking of becoming a volunteer? See a list of reasons that will help you make up your mind.
#10: It's good for you.
Volunteering provides physical and mental rewards. It:
- Reduces stress - Experts report that when you focus on someone other than yourself, it interrupts usual tension-producing patterns.
- Makes you healthier - Moods and emotions, like optimism, joy, and control over one's fate, strengthen the immune system.
#9: It saves resources.
Volunteering provides valuable community services so more money can be spent on local improvements.The estimated value of a volunteer's time is $15.39 per hour.
#8: Volunteers gain professional experience.
You can test out a career.
#7: It brings people together.
As a volunteer you assist in:
- Uniting people from diverse backgrounds to work toward a common goal
- Building camaraderie and teamwork
#6: It promotes personal growth and self esteem.
Understanding community needs helps foster empathy and self-efficacy.
#5: Volunteering strengthens your community.
As a volunteer you help:
- Support families (daycare and eldercare)
- Community organizations facilitate their work
- Improve schools (tutoring, literacy)
- Support youth (mentoring and after-school programs)
- Beautify the community (beach and park cleanups)
#4: You learn a lot.
Volunteers learn things like these:
- Self - Volunteers discover hidden talents that may change your view on your self worth.
- Government - Through working with local non-profit agencies, volunteers learn about the functions and operation of our government.
- Community - Volunteers gain knowledge of local resources available to solve community needs.
#3: You get a chance to give back.
People like to support community resources that they use themselves or that benefit people they care about.
#2: Volunteering encourages civic responsibility.
Community service and volunteerism are an investment in our community and the people who live in it.
#1: You make a difference.
Every person counts
Source: University of California, San Diego website